Understanding Your Air Conditioner
Given that your air conditioning system plays such an integral role in your home’s comfort and energy efficiency, you should always be on the lookout for signs that may indicate a serious problem. This is especially true with summer just around the corner. By dealing with potential issues promptly, you can prevent AC downtimes and ensure your home is prepped and ready for the warmer months ahead. But how exactly do you determine if your air conditioner is the issue? Easy–your nose will know.
Depending on the model, air conditioners may operate with a little noise–but they generally shouldn’t give off a strange odor. If your AC smells funny every time you switch it on, this can only mean the system has developed a problem. A premier HVAC company in the area, Lucent pro services, discusses more of it here.
Deciphering Different AC Smells
Your air conditioner may produce different odors depending on the underlying issue. Whatever it is, however, it can’t be good news. Here’s a quick rundown:
- The smell of musty, dirty socks.
- An AC that generates a smell like a gym locker may detract from your enjoyment of a cool, comfortable home. Filthy evaporator coils, which can develop mold and bacteria buildup due to condensation, are a common reason for this odor. You may find the smell is more concentrated in areas where you use heating at night and in the morning before you switch over to cooling.
What to Do. You just need to turn to a reliable HVAC technician who can clean your evaporator coils and unclog the drain pans to prevent mold growth and the musty, dirty-sock smell associated with it. Changing your air filter regularly will also help.
- A Distinctive Chemical Smell. It’s never a good sign when your AC starts smelling like chemicals when you turn it on. This can mean the system has a refrigerant leak–a serious issue that can lead to premature air conditioner failure and replacement if overlooked. In addition to the chemical odor, there are other signs that may point to a refrigerant leak. These include bubbling and hissing sounds when the AC is running, inconsistent indoor temperatures, warm air blowing from the vents, and ice buildup on refrigerant lines or the evaporator coil.
What to Do. Call your local HVAC company immediately. If the leak is caught early enough, it may only require some quick repairs to fix the leak, after which the HVAC technician will recharge your AC with the right amount of refrigerant. If the leak is severe and the AC is already compromised, your best bet is a replacement.
- A Vinegar-Like Smell. There are several possible reasons for a sharp, acidic smell coming from your AC. The air filter or condensate pan may be clogged, or the ductwork could have mold buildup. Excess condensation is another possible cause.
What to Do. Replacing the air filter may help. but if it doesn’t get rid of the smell, you may have to call your HVAC technician.
- A Burning Smell. This may be due to a broken capacitor that’s causing the motor to overheat, or perhaps a broken fan belt or loose electrical connections. A number of things can go wrong if you ignore the burning smell coming from your air conditioning system–the worst of which is a fire–so have it checked immediately. What to Do. Again, the best idea is to have your AC checked promptly by a trusted HVAC company. They’ll know what to do and will observe the necessary safety precautions to ensure the system is fixed in an efficient manner.
Why You Should Work with Us
Dealing with heating and air conditioning problems should be your first priority. For instance, you probably already know That’s why–if you see it’s already clogged and dusty–you should replace it immediately. This is one of the few HVAC troubleshooting tasks that even an untrained homeowner can do. But if you find that the problem is more serious (strange smells coming from your AC are an indication), you should probably leave it to a professional.
In the wasatch front area, the company to call is Lucent pro services. Our trained, experienced HVAC technicians will perform a comprehensive AC and safety check to diagnose the issue. Depending on what we find, we’ll either restore its reliable cooling performance or help you get started on finding a new air conditioner for your home.
Whether you need a pro to take you through a furnace inspection or help you make the most of your AC’s service life and performance, you don’t need to look any further. Here are some of the reasons we remain one of the area’s leading heating and cooling companies:
- Qualified. Lucent pro services is a licensed, insured, family-owned, and -operated company. We ensure your greater protection by having all the qualifications necessary to perform quality residential and commercial HVAC work in your area.
- Certified. The excellent team at Lucent ppro services is fully capable of solving HVAC problems of all types. After all, each of our technicians is certified by NATE (North American Technician Excellence), meaning they have extensive knowledge of the industry and have received training and distinctions to ensure they have up-to-date knowledge on the latest products and trends. Not only that, Lucent pro services is also a Factory-Authorized Dealer of HVAC products. This means access to some of the best AC systems available today, along with the solid warranty coverage included with them.
- Experienced. Since 1976, Lucent pro services has provided homeowners in and around the wasatch front with the highest-quality solutions to their HVAC needs. If you need us to go over your furnace inspection checklist with you, our incredible team will be at the ready. How about a new AC installation? We’ll be more than happy to help you explore your options and install the system you choose in a timely, efficient manner–all while adhering to stringent quality specifications. When you turn to us for your air conditioning needs, you can always expect more-than-satisfactory results.
- Well-Reviewed. Lucent pro services are Diamond Certified Performance Guaranteed, with about 97% customer loyalty. Homeowners in the Wasatch front know that they can always expect worry-free service when they turn to us for their heating and cooling needs. Our A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau® also says a lot about the quality of our work.